When applying for car insurance, one of the factors that will dictate the final quote is the “Class of Use.” If you aren’t familiar with the term, Class of Use means the primary purpose of the car. 

Whatever you specify as the car’s main job, the insurance policy you receive will cover the vehicle in that aspect. Of course, if the vehicle gets into an accident but the Class of Use isn’t related to that accident, not only will you not be covered, but that policy might be voided too. If they believe that you’ve withheld information or lied regarding car use, they can reject your application right away.

That said, if you need help figuring out what Class of Use you should specify, we’ll talk about three uses that you might fall under:

1. Social, Domestic, and Pleasure (SDP)

The SDP class is for you if you never use your car for anything work-related. For example, SDP-related activities include shopping, sending the kids to school, visiting relatives, and other social, domestic, or pleasure use. However, if you do use the car to commute to work or to drive up to a place, such as a train station to get to work, do not use SDP.

2. Social, Domestic, and Pleasure Plus Commuting (SDP+C)

If you do all the above and use the car to get to work, SDP+C is what you’ll select. Of course, you’ll be covered when you take the vehicle out for pleasure, domestic, or social reasons, but you’ll also covered if you get into an accident on the way to work. However, if you use the car to visit customers, clients, or travel to different places for business reasons, SDP+C is not the right to use. For that, you’ll need to select another option.

3. Business Use

While this is just an extension of SDP+C, you’ll need to select the right business use class to get covered correctly without overpaying for insurance that you don’t need. 

Under Class 1 Business Use, you can use the car to travel to more than one workplace. You can also use it to go to business meetings and to travel from home to work. If you do all of what we’ve just mentioned and nothing more, Class 1 is for you.

Class 2 Business Use is the same as for Class 1 Business Use with the added benefit of having you and another named driver covered by insurance when driving for business purposes. 

As for Class 3 Business Use, it is for those who frequently use cars for business purposes. For example, if you’re a salesperson driving a lot to meet up with different clients, Class 3 is the right choice.

4. Commercial Use

Do not confuse Business Use with Commercial Use. Unlike Business Use, where the car is to get from one workplace to another, Commercial Use covers those who do the job from the vehicle. That includes delivery drivers, taxi drivers, and couriers. However, it is always safe to ask your insurer for the exact definition of each user to make sure that you’re selecting the right one.

In conclusion, be sure that you select the right use for your car. In doing so, you can make sure that the insurer adequately covers any accident that happens. If you did not select the right Class of Use, you might get into serious trouble if you are caught in an accident doing what the car wasn’t meant for.

If you are looking for car excess insurance cover in the UK, get in touch with us today to see how we can help.